Examination Board: AQA
Course Leader: Mr N Bennett
Contact Email: email@example.com
What Will I Study?
You will study six units at A level. Three human and three physical geography based.
Units studied are:
• Natural Hazards: Tectonics, wildfires, hurricanes and storms.
• Coastal Systems: Landforms and coastal management.
• Water and Carbon cycles: River management and climate change.
• Global Systems and Governance: Globalisation and its impacts, Antarctica and its importance.
• Changing Places: Place-making, re-branding and forces causing change in two contrasting places.
• Population and the Environment: Global population growth, global health issues and food security.
Students require a Grade 5 or above in Geography.
There will be two exams both 2½ hours long. These include a mix of question types from an essay, short data response questions and multiple choice questions. There will be a piece of coursework worth 20% of the total grade. This is an individual study where you complete primary and secondary data collection on a title you have independently devised - please speak to your Geography teacher for further details.
Students will complete 4 days fieldwork to develop skills for their NEA.
Geography A level can lead to a variety of careers including marketing, insurance, transport planning, travel, cartography, surveying, demography, urban planning, hydrology, ecology, geology, and climatology. To continue further study in a Geography degree, related science and social science subjects may also be an asset, including Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, Sociology, Economics, Politics and History.
Why Choose Geography?
You will develop skills and knowledge that will be valuable to a wide range of employment or further education. You will explore current issues and create your own reasoned conclusions. You will have the opportunity to carry out research, undertake fieldwork at various stages of the course, and learn through enquiry. There has never been a more important time to study geography. The course will help you understand and become critically aware of the current global issues we are facing.