Start Date: Thursday 1st February 2018
Closing Date: Friday 23rd March 2018
Interviews: Week commencing 27 March
Salary: Grade 3 Point 17 - 21 (£17,772 - £20,138)
Contract Type: Permanent
Grade 3 Point 17 - 21 (£17,772 - £20,138)
Required full time as soon as possible (37 hours per week, 52 weeks per year)
Working hours Monday – Friday, 1 pm – 9 pm
We are seeking to appoint an enthusiastic, hardworking Caretaker to join this successful and popular school.
You will be required to:
- Assist in ensuring that the school is a safe, clean healthy environment for all
- Maintain the school premises and grounds
- Oversee the opening and securing of the school site as appropriate when on duty
- Drive the school minibus
Therefore we are looking for someone who:
- Can work independently but contribute to a strong team ethos
- Is willing to work flexibly
- Has excellent interpersonal skills and a passion for supporting young people
- Is resilient, hard working and self motivated
- Has experience in property maintenance and repair
- Has a full, clean driving licence with part D1
An application pack is available from the Headteacher’s PA, Kerry Fuller (Tel: 01787-375232)
More information is available from www.tgschool.net
Closing Date for applications: 23 March 2018
Interview: Week commencing Tuesday 27 March 2018
Contract Hours: 37 hours per week x 52 weeks per year
Monday – Friday, 1 pm – 9 pm
Responsible to: Facilities Manager
- To assist in making the school a safe, clean and healthy environment for all
- To assist in maintaining and developing the school premises and grounds
- To oversee the opening and securing of the school site as appropriate when on duty
- To drive the school minibus to transport students as directed within contracted hours
- Ensure routine building and site maintenance work is undertaken as required
- Assist with planning and organisation of school refurbishment programmes
- Liaise with school staff and contractors as required
- Ensure all plant and equipment is maintained to the required standard
- Ensure all outside services are maintained, including drains and hard areas
- Monitor the standards of cleaning and grounds maintenance and report problems to Line Manager
- Actively promote the use of the school facilities, liaise with customers and ensure all
lettings arrangements are adhered to
- Contribute towards the school Health and Safety policies, ensuring they are implemented
and closely monitored
- Ensure all Health and Safety checks are undertaken and recorded
- Ensure that energy and conservation policy and procedures are complied with
- Be available for emergency repairs and callouts as appropriate, which may include weekends.
- Monitor the work of contractors and report any concerns to the Facilities Manager
- Driving the ‘late bus’ on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday afternoons
- Undertake any duties reasonably requested by the Headteacher or Line Manager
PERSON SPECIFICATION: CARETAKER
Essential to basic performance of job
Required for fully competent performance of job
Technical or specialist
Literacy and Numeracy
Knowledge and use of equipment
Good knowledge of DIY equipment/repairs etc.
Good knowledge of relevant policies and procedures, H & S, security, chemical handling, critical incident etc.
Knowledge of security/alarm systems
Literacy and Numeracy required for recording checks of equipment etc.
Ordering supplies etc.
Ability to produce reports and prepare contracts.
Full driving license with Part D1
Knowledge of industrial cleaning products and the relevant health & safety guidelines.
Experience of managing staff.
Related qualifications e.g. City & Guilds.
Experience of personnel policies and procedures.
Knowledge of security systems/alarms.
Knowledge of cleaning standards
Knowledge of security and safety policies and procedures
Knowledge of DIY/gardening equipment
Thinking creatively/developing new ideas
Assist in project specification data collection, analysis and make recommendations.
Ability to deal with varied problems
Be proactive and contribute to school building projects and developments strategy.
Medium/long term planning premises, improvements.
Interpersonal and Communications Skills:
Training and/or presentation skills
Negotiating, influencing or conciliating skills
Verbal and written communications skills (including use of languages)
Provides training/demonstrations to cleaning staff.
May be required to prepare information relating to caretaking. building projects timescales, costings for meetings.
Provides advice and guidance to cleaning and caretaking staff with regard to procedures and practices.
Advises Headteacher/Line Manager on maintenance and repair work.
Supervision of cleaning staff, allocation of work, monitoring/checking standards.
Ability to communicate clearly at all levels with internal and external personnel, contractors, suppliers etc.
Undertake written communications, including confidential information.
Other manual skills
Basic ICT skills are required.
Ability to use a range of tools, hand/eye co-ordination drills, saws etc.
Level of autonomy
Plan and manage own and caretaking and/or cleaning staff workload.
Ability to undertake main duties and responsibilities with limited access to Line Manager.