What Will I Study?
You will study six units at A Level. 3 human and 3 physical geography based.
Units studied are:
- Natural Hazards: Tectonics, wildfires, hurricanes and storms.
- Coastal Systems: Landforms and coastal management.
- Water and Carbon cycles: River management and climate change
- Global Systems and Governance: Globalisation and its impacts, Antarctica and its importance.
- Changing Places: Place-making, re-branding and forces causing change in two contrasting places.
- Population and the Environment: Global population growth, global health issues and food security.
Students require a Grade 5 or above in Geography.
There will be two exams both 2 1/2 hours long. These include a mix of question types from an essay, short data response questions and multiple choice questions.
There will be a piece of coursework worth 20% of the total grade. This is an individual study where you complete primary and secondary data collection on a title you have independently devised - please speak to your Geography teacher for further details.
Students will complete a residential fieldtrip in Year 12 to Dorset and hopefully in Year 13 to South Wales.
Geography A-level can lead to a variety of careers including marketing, insurance, transport planning, travel, cartography, surveying, demography, urban planning, hydrology, ecology, geology, and climatology. To continue further study in a Geography degree, related science and social science subjects may also be an asset, including Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, Sociology, Economics, Politics and History.
You will explore issues and discuss them, and be expected to give your own views and opinions. You will have the opportunity to carry out research using the internet, undertake fieldwork at various stages of the course, and learn through enquiry.
|Mr K Alexander||Director of Sixth Form||Contact|
|Mr N Bennett||Head of Geography||Contact|
|Miss G Forster||Assistant Headteacher, Communications||Contact|
|Mrs C Kelly||Head of Humanities||Contact|
|Miss J Lomas||Teacher of Humanities||Contact|
|Mr J Warburton||Teacher of Classics & Latin||Contact|
|Mr M Watkins||Teacher of Geography||Contact|
|Mrs H Yapp||Deputy Headteacher, Student Support||Contact|