What Will I Study?
Students will study six units over two years to obtain an Extended Certificate in Applied Science. The course is split into five mandatory units and one optional unit.
- Unit 1: Key concepts in science (Written examination)
- Unit 2: Applied experimental techniques (Internally assessed)
- Unit 3: Science in the modern world (Written examination)
- Unit 4: The human body (Written examination)
- Unit 5: Investigating science (Internally assessed)
- Unit 6: Option B – Medical physics (Internally assessed)
Level 3 Extended Certificate in Applied Science, equivalent to one A level.
Students require at least a 5 in a Core GCSE Science
The course is assessed both externally and internally, with three units assessed by written examination and three units assessed by assignment. The first written examination is sat in January and the second in June of Year 12. The final written assessment is sat in the January of Year 13. The internally assessed units are spaced throughout the year. The content aims to reflect the vocational nature of the course, focussing on occupations that require scientific knowledge and skills.
This course is designed for students who are interested in learning about the applied science sector of industry alongside other fields of study, with a view to progressing to a wide range of higher education courses or training, not necessarily in applied science.